Welcome to GOFASTMOTORSPORTS.com ... ... ... Green Flag - Green Flag - Go Go Go ... ... Brought to you by Ricks Satellite - Where the Big Dish Rules!

Ricks Satellite Wildfeed and Backhaul Forum
Register Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Julieber

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 134
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello,

I'm curious to know what the difference between a Wildfeed and a Backhoe?

Between the two types of feeds, which is more exciting to watch, what everyone's opinions are?

i've been watching a lot of feeds. Some news feed have no information on the screen, some have there Sation ID, other are fast forwarding on screen as I am watching. Some are doing video loop with prerecorded information.

Some feeds seem like they're connected right to the Internet, because I've noticed some feeds are through the Internet. That could explain video and audio lag they get sometimes.

Thank You.

Jule - satellite dish princess.
big_hemi

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 4,732
Reply with quote  #2 
A wildfeed is usually a raw feed similar to a news remote or reporter feed.  This is usually meant for a station that will put it on live during a newscast or edit it and use it later.  Some stations do take these feeds and put them on the internet.  An example of this is a reporter doing a story on a flood for the 6pm newscast.

A backhaul is a live but somewhat edited and produced feed usually from a venue, like an awards show or sporting event, that may have graphics.  This is meant for the networks to take and feed in commercials and other network things before sending it out to their affiliates.  An example of this is the super bowl or the oscars.

__________________
10' Winegard - BSC621 C/Ku LNBF - Venture MA818-B24 - V-Box 7 - 8x1 Switch
1.2m Prodelin @ 103W | 90CM @ 72W | 1m Muzak @ 91W | 1m DS3100 (HH120 motor) | All Avenger Universal Ku LNBF's
Icecrypt 3750 & 1600 - Linkbox 9000i Local - AZbox ME (OpenATV 3.3.1) - Prof 7500 - Wetek - Slingbox HD Pro
Julieber

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 134
Reply with quote  #3 
Do some feeds go from there cameras or news van, to wireless Internet Wi-Fi or cell phone tower, to a transmitter station that beams up the satellite link to a transponder, then beams it down to the receiving affiliate?

The reason I ask this, is some time I am watching a feed with a lot of lag in it. Sometimes it feels like my receiver is receiving an internet feed from my Wi-Fi connection with a lot of lag. Not just any lag, but 3G cell data bandwidth. I know for fact, you do not want to use laged video for your final product.

I do also want to note that it's not my satellite dish on my reception because my blue and green bars are very strong very strong.

This is taking me a little bit of adjustment to get used to this hybrid Wi-Fi cell phone tower satellite Wild Feeds.

Thank You.
Mike

Registered:
Posts: 30,065
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julieber
Between the two types of feeds, which is more exciting to watch, what everyone's opinions are? .


It depends on the event for me. I got hooked in the 80's in high school going to the local sports bar named Max's in Glendale, AZ watching the CBS NBA backhauls. I didn't really follow college sports outside the Bruins until I got a big dish just out of high school. Watching the games made me a colllege fan for football and basketball. I got to see all the NFL and MLB games at the bar so I got a dish before my 1st car and barely after starting my 1st job.

News feeds I like are reporters getting ready for a live shot. Weather related like the TWC remotes that are posted here. I also love the Oscars, Emmy's, Newport Beach golf tournament and the Rose Parade. The stuff I watched and/or went too as a kid. Police chases memorize me as how stupid you can be to do it. KNBC in LA never used to show them. There are always alot of those in So Cal. Some here know the concerts so I know those are liked by some. I enjoy alot of stuff. It depends on the event whether to watch even if it's a backhaul or wildfeed.
Julieber

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 134
Reply with quote  #5 
Can you find news feeds of what is going on at the news center/news room. We see a of feeds from the camera crew in the new van, but what about the central news control room?
Julieber

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 134
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike


It depends on the event for me. I got hooked in the 80's in high school going to the local sports bar named Max's in Glendale, AZ watching the CBS NBA backhauls. I didn't really follow college sports outside the Bruins until I got a big dish just out of high school. Watching the games made me a colllege fan for football and basketball. I got to see all the NFL and MLB games at the bar so I got a dish before my 1st car and barely after starting my 1st job.

News feeds I like are reporters getting ready for a live shot. Weather related like the TWC remotes that are posted here. I also love the Oscars, Emmy's, Newport Beach golf tournament and the Rose Parade. The stuff I watched and/or went too as a kid. Police chases memorize me as how stupid you can be to do it. KNBC in LA never used to show them. There are always alot of those in So Cal. Some here know the concerts so I know those are liked by some. I enjoy alot of stuff. It depends on the event whether to watch even if it's a backhaul or wildfeed.


I do recall back in the day, when a lot of sports bars and pubs had big c band dishes on the roofs.
Mike

Registered:
Posts: 30,065
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julieber
Can you find news feeds of what is going on at the news center/news room. We see a of feeds from the camera crew in the new van, but what about the central news control room?


Not that I can recall
big_hemi

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 4,732
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julieber
Do some feeds go from there cameras or news van, to wireless Internet Wi-Fi or cell phone tower, to a transmitter station that beams up the satellite link to a transponder, then beams it down to the receiving affiliate?

Sometimes the reporters/crew use cell-bonded technology like LiveU or Dejero.  This uses cell carriers data connections to send back a signal.  Then the station could either put it up on satellite to feed to other affiliates or to feed to the network control center, similar to the NewsOne mux on Galaxy 17.  You will see pixels and it may lag occasionally but that's because the signal isn't as strong and consistent as satellite.  They depend on having "X" amount of data channels for their signals, but that isn't 100% due to crowd size, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julieber
Can you find news feeds of what is going on at the news center/news room. We see a of feeds from the camera crew in the new van, but what about the central news control room?

Haven't seen too many of these but they do pop up once in a while.  The directors are interesting to listen to.

__________________
10' Winegard - BSC621 C/Ku LNBF - Venture MA818-B24 - V-Box 7 - 8x1 Switch
1.2m Prodelin @ 103W | 90CM @ 72W | 1m Muzak @ 91W | 1m DS3100 (HH120 motor) | All Avenger Universal Ku LNBF's
Icecrypt 3750 & 1600 - Linkbox 9000i Local - AZbox ME (OpenATV 3.3.1) - Prof 7500 - Wetek - Slingbox HD Pro
Julieber

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 134
Reply with quote  #9 
Let me ask this, what good is sending a laged video and audio feed through the affiliate, how does the news crews deal with the lag?

Example today. I saw one new or cameraman talking to a football player at the Super Bowl, and there was a lot of lag.

big_hemi

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 4,732
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julieber
Let me ask this, what good is sending a laged video and audio feed through the affiliate, how does the news crews deal with the lag? Example today. I saw one new or cameraman talking to a football player at the Super Bowl, and there was a lot of lag.

Simple answer:  Cost

It's cheaper to use the LiveU system than to roll out a crew in a satellite truck, then have to pay for satellite time, which is probably a lot more than a cell phone bill

__________________
10' Winegard - BSC621 C/Ku LNBF - Venture MA818-B24 - V-Box 7 - 8x1 Switch
1.2m Prodelin @ 103W | 90CM @ 72W | 1m Muzak @ 91W | 1m DS3100 (HH120 motor) | All Avenger Universal Ku LNBF's
Icecrypt 3750 & 1600 - Linkbox 9000i Local - AZbox ME (OpenATV 3.3.1) - Prof 7500 - Wetek - Slingbox HD Pro
mrbud

Registered:
Posts: 1,313
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julieber
I do recall back in the day, when a lot of sports bars and pubs had big c band dishes on the roofs.


and many of those dishes are still up on roofs...

i know of at least 5 bar/pub locations where i live and have contacted
the building owners....

they all use the same reason for not allowing me or any
BUD HUNTER access and permission to take them down..

...Insurance won't allow it....

i know of one location near me that has 4 pointed at the old
ESPN/ESPN2 location (back in the day) and it's sad to see
them wasting away...

bud
Julieber

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 134
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbud


and many of those dishes are still up on roofs...

i know of at least 5 bar/pub locations where i live and have contacted
the building owners....

they all use the same reason for not allowing me or any
BUD HUNTER access and permission to take them down..

...Insurance won't allow it....

i know of one location near me that has 4 pointed at the old
ESPN/ESPN2 location (back in the day) and it's sad to see
them wasting away...

bud


Now came the 1500 Cable, dish and DirecTV channel universe, all bar/pubs use that for multiple TV systems. Walk in to most par/pus in North America. One TV with ESPN 1, another one with ESPN 2, another one with the Syfy channel and one with Fox News, and so on.

As you said, they are no long using them for pay tv systems. This is because of the remaining programmer that sent C-Band/4DTV Pay tv providers that offered the packages stopped there the services years ago.

I do agree with you, it is sad that they won't let you take them off their hands when they are not using the BUDS anymore.

mrbud

Registered:
Posts: 1,313
Reply with quote  #13 
haha...went online and pulled up street view...

can still see the dish farm on top of the bar...

crude photo but you can see them.......lol

bud

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: BUDS_on_BAR_roof_2-3-17_002.jpg, Views: 46, Size: 430.06 KB 

Julieber

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 134
Reply with quote  #14 
Yes I can. A true BUD dish farm.

I wish you could add seeds, add water and watch your BUDS grow out of the ground.

Bud Flowers.

Giggles.
mrbud

Registered:
Posts: 1,313
Reply with quote  #15 
WAIT...MUCH BETTER SHOT FROM SATELLITE VIEW..

you can see ALL FOUR.....
especially the shadows .....HA!

bud


Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: BUDS_ON_ROOF_SAT_SHOT_2-3-17_002.jpg, Views: 48, Size: 139.13 KB 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Fellow Members, your posts are welcome here! Do not worry about posting everything perfect. Different receivers and LNB's will give you different Frequencies and Symbol Rates. Some set top boxes, PCI cards and USB receivers, Do Not Require all of the same information that others may need. It is not Required to post everything that others may need to tune in a feed. It is just most important to share the find. We can always adjust the Frequency and Symbol Rates and try the various Modulations and FEC's on our own receivers until we get a lock and then give a polite reply with what works for your receiver, as that information might help others as well. We all appreciate the efforts and energy of the Posters!

Thank You for Visiting GOFASTMOTORSPORTS.com - Keep Your Eyes on the Sky and the Track!