Welcome to GOFASTMOTORSPORTS.com ... ... ... Green Flag - Green Flag - Go Go Go ... ... Brought to you by Ricks Satellite - Where the Big Dish Rules!

Ricks Satellite Wildfeed and Backhaul Forum
Register Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
techjunkie02

Registered:
Posts: 2,311
Reply with quote  #1 
I just got a Uniden Supra to use as a dish mover

But, all the Sat ID #'s are OLD, very old...LOL!!

Does anyone know where I can get a chart that shows the sat id numbers by longitude?

I remember some of these, but my mem is not that good. I even found a 2004 Orbit magazine,
but the chart page was ripped out...LOL!!


__________________
--- a collection of semi-functional equipment, backed-up by a pile of questionable items!
techjunkie02

Registered:
Posts: 2,311
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops
I would suggest going to lyngsat for current satellite id's.  
https://www.lyngsat.com/america.html 


I need the OLD id's that match those orbital locations!


__________________
--- a collection of semi-functional equipment, backed-up by a pile of questionable items!
Pops

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,630
Reply with quote  #3 
I would suggest going to lyngsat for current satellite id's, and click on "America" in the row titled "satellite".  Won't help you associate the old sat names to the new ones, but it's pretty good resource.
https://www.lyngsat.com

__________________
"My neighbors cut down their weeping willow and GO CUBS! "
Mike

Registered:
Posts: 32,231
Reply with quote  #4 
Feb 1989 orbit magazine. One of the 1st I got which I found in a box a few weeks ago

Spacenet 2 69 deg - s2
Satcom F2 72 deg - f2
Galaxy 2 74 deg - g2
Satcom F4 82 deg - f4
Telstar 303 85 deg - t3
Spacenet 3 87 deg - s3
Galzxy 3 93.5 deg - g3
telstar 301 96 deg - t1
westar 4 99 deg - w4
anik d1 104.5 deg - w1
anik d2 110.5 deg - w2
morelos 113.5 deg - m1
spacenet 1 - 120 deg -- s1
westar 5 122.5 deg - w5
telstar 303 125 deg - t3
satcom f3 - 131 deg -  f3
galaxy 1 134 deg - g1
satcom f1 139 deg - f1
techjunkie02

Registered:
Posts: 2,311
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Feb 1989 orbit magazine. One of the 1st I got which I found in a box a few weeks ago


COOL!!!  Thanks [biggrin]

Spacenet 2 69 deg - s2
Satcom F2 72 deg - f2
Galaxy 2 74 deg - g2
Satcom F4 82 deg - f4
Telstar 303 85 deg - t3
Spacenet 3 87 deg - s3
Galzxy 3 93.5 deg - g3
telstar 301 96 deg - t1
westar 4 99 deg - w4
anik d1 104.5 deg - w1
anik d2 110.5 deg - w2
morelos 113.5 deg - m1
spacenet 1 - 120.5 deg -- s1
westar 5 122.5 deg - w5
telstar 303 125 deg - t3
satcom f3 - 131 deg -  13
galaxy 1 134 deg - g1
satcom f1 139 deg - f1






__________________
--- a collection of semi-functional equipment, backed-up by a pile of questionable items!
Mike

Registered:
Posts: 32,231
Reply with quote  #6 
I corrected a few
F3 and 120 deg
Pops

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,630
Reply with quote  #7 
Mike you're unbelievable.  You must be taking lessons from Boblop about throwing things away?  
__________________
"My neighbors cut down their weeping willow and GO CUBS! "
Mike

Registered:
Posts: 32,231
Reply with quote  #8 
http://rickcaylor.websitetoolbox.com/post/Satellite-names-2934600

Here's a topic from 2008 that has discussion of older names and my favorite AC's scan
majortom

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 4,944
Reply with quote  #9 
remind me why we should care about so called "names"??
Been a while since I used an analog rcvr.


__________________
Perfect 10 7.5' mesh Chapparal C/Ku Co-Rotor feed, Norsat 8115 CBAND, Norsat 4106A Ku Thomson Saginaw Actuator, Vbox positioner,
Home Brew Polarotor683 Servo circuit. Openbox S9, Prof7500, v4l-updatelee linux drivers installed.
ricardo's geo-orbit archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20150516202529/http://www.geo-orbit.org:80/sizepgs/tuningp2.html#anchor469886
wejones

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 5,644
Reply with quote  #10 
Many of those old IRDs came pre-programmed with 2 digit sat names, all in the right order. You could change the names, but on many receivers you were limited to just a handfull of letters, like W,F,G,S,A,C,T,K, etc, etc, and were also limited to one letter and one single digit number.
  If you want to use some of these old receivers as dish movers, it really helps if you have it imbedded in your head where those old sats were, and what new sat the 2 digit names correspond to.
  The 2 digit names were mainly to allow you to use 0-9 and the letters assigned to those 10 digits on remotes that didn't have a full alphabet.  Like you would change channels by hitting SAT G 1 and the dish would go there. 

BTW, there were two similar threads today, and I posted

http://www.eskerridge.com/bj/sat/tvrosat2.html

on the other thread meaning to post it here.  Too late to help, but useful for people with old IRD dish movers.  I still use my old Monty 55 or Drake 1824, and many of the sats I have saved use the old 2 digit codes for the sat that was there decades ago, and easy for me to remember. The other sats use 2 digit codes that were randomly created, and much harder to remember. 

  A bit off topic, one of my old IRDs, I think the Drake, was so limited in memory that it used the same memory space for  F and C (Since the satcom Fs were replaced by Satcom C sats, and they couldn't use S since there were spacenet sats),  and also used the same memory space for A and D (and later maybe F)  I think, (A for Anik and D for Anik-D, and there were also Anik-C and C couldn't be used since it was used for Satcom sats).  That got very annoying when trying to name the sats. For a while there I had completely run out of appropriate names for some sats.  I may have the A/D memory thing wrong, but I do remember on several occasions saving a satellite with one of those letters only to find out that doing so wiped out a previously saved satellite with the shared letter. 

Mike

Registered:
Posts: 32,231
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom
remind me why we should care about so called "names"??
Been a while since I used an analog rcvr.



I still use an analog receiver to toot the dish around.
I know some do not know the names in this digital world as they only have a receiver with frequencies. Lots of comments on other forums about this topic but as more people get these dishes laying around with these analog receivers from yesteryear like Monterrey, Houston Tracker 4, "Super Ice" receivers then I think names are still necessary...imo
SciFiNut

Registered:
Posts: 223
Reply with quote  #12 
Thank you wejones:  Very good information indeed as I still use an analog receiver to move my dish and sometimes memory fails me. Good to have a place (thanks and kudos to Rick Caylor) to do a memory refresh of what has been forgotten.
__________________
Uniden Supra, Motorola DSR905, Viewsat Max HD, AZBox Elite HD, AZBox Ultra, 10.5' KTI Trans-Quad C/Ku mesh, Chaparral Corotor II, Norsat 4106A .6 ° Ku LNB, Cal-Amp Minimag 17° C LNB
Retired - Houston Tracker VIII
techjunkie02

Registered:
Posts: 2,311
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom
remind me why we should care about so called "names"??
Been a while since I used an analog rcvr.




"we" don't need to!
I was asking because I could not find the info, and I wanted to know. That's all!!
I just got these analog receivers that had some sat names already in it,
but no orbital locations. I wanted to try to find those positions, thinking that maybe if I knew them,
then I could better assign my positions in the receiver.
Thanks to all who replied!

__________________
--- a collection of semi-functional equipment, backed-up by a pile of questionable items!
techjunkie02

Registered:
Posts: 2,311
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wejones
Many of those old IRDs came pre-programmed with 2 digit sat names, all in the right order. You could change the names, but on many receivers you were limited to just a handfull of letters, like W,F,G,S,A,C,T,K, etc, etc, and were also limited to one letter and one single digit number.
  If you want to use some of these old receivers as dish movers, it really helps if you have it imbedded in your head where those old sats were, and what new sat the 2 digit names correspond to.
  The 2 digit names were mainly to allow you to use 0-9 and the letters assigned to those 10 digits on remotes that didn't have a full alphabet.  Like you would change channels by hitting SAT G 1 and the dish would go there. 

BTW, there were two similar threads today, and I posted

http://www.eskerridge.com/bj/sat/tvrosat2.html

on the other thread meaning to post it here.  Too late to help, but useful for people with old IRD dish movers.  I still use my old Monty 55 or Drake 1824, and many of the sats I have saved use the old 2 digit codes for the sat that was there decades ago, and easy for me to remember. The other sats use 2 digit codes that were randomly created, and much harder to remember. 

  A bit off topic, one of my old IRDs, I think the Drake, was so limited in memory that it used the same memory space for  F and C (Since the satcom Fs were replaced by Satcom C sats, and they couldn't use S since there were spacenet sats),  and also used the same memory space for A and D (and later maybe F)  I think, (A for Anik and D for Anik-D, and there were also Anik-C and C couldn't be used since it was used for Satcom sats).  That got very annoying when trying to name the sats. For a while there I had completely run out of appropriate names for some sats.  I may have the A/D memory thing wrong, but I do remember on several occasions saving a satellite with one of those letters only to find out that doing so wiped out a previously saved satellite with the shared letter. 



Thanks Mr. Jones.... that is pretty much exactly what I was looking for! [smile]

__________________
--- a collection of semi-functional equipment, backed-up by a pile of questionable items!
majortom

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 4,944
Reply with quote  #15 
The reason I was asking for a refresher...
l recall back in the day when I used the analog receiver to watch analog TV, removing the EPROM from my receiver, reading it with my EPROM programmer, editing the Pre-Canned Names in a hex editor, then Burning a new EPROM. It was a long time ago, so I don't recall which of my receivers I could update myself...
I used to use a couple STS receivers, which had a Blue Vacuum Florescent display.
and an IQ Prism, which had no Front Panel Display. They both could be controlled from my computer
via RS-232. I might dig up the EPROM programmer again sometime, to see if any of the analog receivers I still have can be safely reprogrammed with new Satellite Names. None of them are in use any longer.
I vaguely recall it was simple on some, and not so simple on others.
Simple meaning there wasn't any disassembly of any code required to figure out what to edit.
And others looked like one might have to disassemble some code to figure it out.


__________________
Perfect 10 7.5' mesh Chapparal C/Ku Co-Rotor feed, Norsat 8115 CBAND, Norsat 4106A Ku Thomson Saginaw Actuator, Vbox positioner,
Home Brew Polarotor683 Servo circuit. Openbox S9, Prof7500, v4l-updatelee linux drivers installed.
ricardo's geo-orbit archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20150516202529/http://www.geo-orbit.org:80/sizepgs/tuningp2.html#anchor469886
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Fellow Members, your posts are welcome here! Do not worry about posting everything perfect. Different receivers and LNB's will give you different Frequencies and Symbol Rates. Some set top boxes, PCI cards and USB receivers, Do Not Require all of the same information that others may need. It is not Required to post everything that others may need to tune in a feed. It is just most important to share the find. We can always adjust the Frequency and Symbol Rates and try the various Modulations and FEC's on our own receivers until we get a lock and then give a polite reply with what works for your receiver, as that information might help others as well. We all appreciate the efforts and energy of the Posters!

Thank You for Visiting GOFASTMOTORSPORTS.com - Keep Your Eyes on the Sky and the Track!